ARTIST CLOSE UP with Claire Huangci
Claire is a featured piano soloist with the CSO in our November 19th concert “Transcedence: An Evening with Rochberg, Chopin, & Brahms”. She will be performing Chopin’s Concerto No. 2 in F Minor, Op. 21
1. For how long have you been playing the piano?
“Exactly 20 years! Wow, more than 80 percent of my life!”
2. What made you choose to play the piano?
“It wasn’t my choice, my parents bought a grand piano as a pretty piece of ‘furniture’ for the new house/possible hobby for my younger sister and I, and I started learning with my mother together.”
3. What is your favorite part about performing in front of a live audience?
“There’s no other feeling of such excitement and anticipation as performing on stage. There’s a kind of latent connection where energy is exchanged by the public and artist, and this is sometimes electrifying.”
4. If you could play any other instrument, what would you play?
“I think cello, it would be a romantic choice! ”
5. When you aren’t playing music, what are some of your other hobbies?
“I love cooking and trying different recipes, and visiting museums in new places all the time.”
6. What is the most bizarre performing experience you have had?
“In the Newport Music Festival, once in the middle of a recital, a swarm of bats came flying in! It was a semi open air evening recital, and I wondered why the audience suddenly started gesticulating and shifting around uneasily. I never thought to look up, and that was a good thing!”
7. What is your favorite music genre to listen to?
“Anything but classical usually…”
8. What is on your latest playlist?
“Adele, Muse, Coldplay, Maroon 5, the Grease soundtrack..etc”
9. Are you looking forward to your upcoming performance with the CSO and why?
“This is my 4th time here, and every time has been a great pleasure! Working with Maestro del Gobbo and the orchestra is always so comfortable, relaxed, yet full of lively interaction. I’m very happy to present the Chopin 2nd Concerto this time, as I feel it’s a piece that really speaks to each one of us directly to the heart.”
10. Which three people (famous or otherwise) would you most like to invite to a dinner party, and why?
“Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Lawrence, and Marion Cotillard, I’m a movie junkie…”
11. What did you want to be when you grew up?
“Being a doctor was always a dream for my parents and I, saving the lives of people is a noble calling.”